GUINATAANG ALIMASAG WITH MALUNGGAY or also known as Crab in Coconut Milk with Malunggay is a very special dish for most Filipinos. The uniqueness of this dish has been already savored to everyone’s meal, once you’ve taste it; you cannot resist anymore the fineness of its favor. Malungay leaves are one of the most nutritious vegetables that is enjoyed by most Pinoys. A lot of cooking innovations about the use of malungay in Pinoy cooking have been carried out. The lowly malungay have been used from bread products to drinks. Aside from its mouth-watering taste, Ginataang Alimasag is also rich in iodine and other minerals that make it a very nutritious dish. It helps keep your family stay healthy but just be sure they have no any allergies reacting on it.Preparing this dish is very easy and simple. All you have to do is to have the ingredients and then follow the procedures.
- 1 kilo crabs (blue or green crabs)
- 3-4 cups malungay leaves
- 1/2 head garlic chopped
- 1 medium size onion chopped
- 2 thumb size ginger, cut into strips
- 3 cups pure coconut milk
- 2-3 hot red chili, chopped
- 3-4 green long chili
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- salt to taste
- cooking oil
- Remove belly flap and trim legs of each crab wash and drain.
- Cut each crabs at mid-section in half set aside.
- In a large pot sauté garlic, ginger and onion until fragrant.
- Add 1 cup of the pure coconut milk and 1 1/2 cup of water bring it to a boil and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the crabs, red chili, green chili and fish sauce, continue to cook at moderate to low heat and continuously stirring for 5 to 8 minutes or until the crabs are cooked.
- Remove the crabs from the pot and keep aside. Add in the remaining coconut milk let boil and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the coconut milk is reduce to about half.
- Add in the malungay leaves and continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Correct saltiness if required.
- Now add in the crabs and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
Share & Enjoy!
Filed Under: Featured