PUTO is a kind of steamed rice cake in Philippine cuisine. It is eaten as is or with butter and/or grated fresh coconut or as accompaniment to a number of savory dishes for breakfast (most notably, with dinuguan).
- 4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp. ube essence flavor/tint
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 piece egg, beaten
- cheddar cheese, cut into strips for topping
- salted egg, cut into strips for topping
- In a big bowl, sift all purpose flour, baking powder and sugar.
- Slowly whisk and blend in water, milk, egg and ube essence until fully blended.
- Fill the cupcake moulds with batter to nearly full. Top with strips of cheese and/or salted egg.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the cupcake moulds.
- Arrange filled moulds in a steamer, place cheesecloth in between each tray to avoid water drips.
- Put enough water and 1 tbsp of vinegar on the steamer and steam for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from tray and mould.
Share & Enjoy!
Filed Under: Uncategorized